Sister Mary Margaret Cummins
Margaret was the elder of two children born to Edward and Honora Cummins in Shepparton in 1914. Mary Margaret trained as a nurse and entered the Sisters of Charity Novitiate on 2nd July 1947 taking the name Sister Lucy. She was professed in 1950.
Sister Mary Margaret Cummins died on 1st May 2004 at the Good Shepherd Nursing Home in Melbourne, where she had been lovingly cared for with great respect and compassion for the last eleven months.
Following the singing of the opening hymn, ‘Gentle Woman‘, Sister Laureen Dixon, acting Congregational Leader, in Sister Elizabeth Dodd’s absence in Rome, welcomed many Sisters of Charity along with staff and friends to the Mass of Christian Burial in Caritas Christi Convent Chapel, Kew. Many of those present had known Mary Margaret since she moved to Caritas in 1991. Sister Laureen said it was appropriate that the liturgy commenced with such a hymn as today they gathered to bid a final farewell to a truly gentle woman, one who served her God with great generosity, humility and gentleness.
Father L Leonard SJ celebrated the Mass of thanksgiving for the life of Mary Margaret.
Father Leonard in his homily made reference to Mary Margaret’s motto: ‘Love is repaid by love alone’, and how she had throughout her life of active ministry in health care, lived out that motto.
Mary Margaret’s selfless care of others particularly the elderly and the dying at Mount Olivet, Sacred Heart Hospice and Caritas Christi Hospice, had been a great example to all with whom she came in contact.
For a number of years Mary Margaret had suffered from near blindness, a condition that she accepted without complaint. Her carers and those associated with her noted her never failing words of appreciation of all that was done for her and her sense of gratitude for the smallest gesture.