Sister Myrna Lynch
Myrna was born on 16th January 1937 in the War Memorial Hospital Waverley. She was the youngest daughter of Margueretta Mary (Myrna) and George Harrison Lynch, and was one of nine children. Myrna grew up in Bondi, “the only place worth living in Sydney”. She attended St Patrick’s Primary School, Bondi and St Vincent’s College,…
Sister Elaine Lum
Sr Elaine Lum was born in Auburn, NSW to Alice and George Lum, who were very respected shopkeepers in the district and very involved parishioners. Elaine was the youngest of three children and was educated at St John’s Primary School, Auburn and Bethlehem College, Ashfield. The family were life-long tennis players and Elaine enjoyed the…
Two Courageous Novices
Archbishop Polding had a vision of his archdiocese as a Benedictine enclave, staffed exclusively by Benedictine monks and nuns. The Sisters of Charity did not fit into this dream. With his institute for the education of daughters of wealthier families sufficiently well founded at Subiaco in Rydalmere, NSW, he brought three more Benedictine nuns from…
Sister M. Maurus Tierney
Hanging on the wall of St Vincent’s College Potts Point administration block is a large framed photo of a Sister of Charity standing at a white cloth covered table pouring tea into china cups Seated along the wall are gentlemen waiting to be served with the meal spread out before them. All are wearing shoes…
Mother Xavier Williams
On the last day of the year 1838 the first five Female Religious ever to set foot on Australian soil, landed in Sydney after a long sea voyage from Ireland. They were Sisters of Charity – sent by their Founder, Mother Mary Aikenhead – and among the group was one who was still a novice, Sister Xavier Williams.
Sister Anita Vaughan
Sister Anita’s family lived in the Heidelberg area of Victoria. Apparently she attended a primary school of the Josephite Sisters because she remembered Blessed Mother Mary MacKillop visiting when she was in the Infants and handing out lollies to the children. The girls in the Vaughan family were drawn to the teaching profession. It was a great sorrow for them to have lost their only brother in World War 1.
Sister Catherine (Kathleen) Ellis
Kathleen was the eldest child of James and Catherine Ellis of Castlemaine in Victoria. In the early 1920’s Mr Ellis was appointed as Headmaster of a western suburbs school in Melbourne and the family took up residence in Essendon.
Sister Agnes Fitzgerald
Agnes FitzGerald was born in Mackay in 1867. She inherited from her father, a founder of the sugar industry in north Queensland and a distinguished member of parliament in Queensland, a fine sense of purpose. In 1893 she entered the Sisters of Charity. She was a pioneer of the first school of the Sisters in Queensland, St Finbarr’s at Ashgrove, leaving there in 1929. She was appointed to St Vincent’s hospital Toowoomba in 1950.
Mother Giovanni Ackman
Amy Vera Ackman – her names mean Truth and Beloved – was born of Jewish parents in Sydney. As a child she went to a Mercy convent school and as an adult was baptised into the Catholic church. After qualifying as an optometrist, she established her own practice in Collins Street, Melbourne. In this capacity she used to practise at the Out Patient’s department of St Vincent’s Hospital, thus becoming acquainted with the Sisters of Charity.
Sister Catherine Tierney and Sister Kathleen Fanning
Catherine and Kathleen were among the first five of our Sisters who went to Bundi, a mission station in the Eastern Highlands of Papua New Guinea. Father Mike Morrison SVD, had been sent to Bundi in 1958 and, believing education was what would most help the Bundi people, set about establishing a school. Father Mike was a big man with vision and big ideas. Bundi school was an example of his vision and great faith.