Sr Maureen Parker: A full life at ViridianPrint
Sr Maureen is a resident of Viridian Retirement Village, Boondall in Brisbane.
- We have Mass four times a week. We are anointed twice a year and we have communal Reconciliation
twice a year. I contribute to these, as requested.
- I am on the roster for Reading and as a Special Minister.
- I pray, read, reflect and enjoy the beauty around me.
- I take Communion to the sick Residents here and in the Nursing Centre when needed.
- I run a Lenten Programme each year during the day.
- I attend a weekly Prayer group which breaks open the Sunday Gospel and I provide the music for the evening when needed.
- I belong to the choir and attend meetings and practice as required. I came up with the name for the group, the Viridian Voices.
- I attend the monthly Pastoral Care morning teas in the Café and functions run by CRAqld.
- I visit the sick in their apartments, phone them, send them emails or drop them a note. At times I have visited residents in hospital.
- I comfort the bereaved, write notes, visit them, attend vigils and funerals when possible.We have had 19 residents go to their eternal reward since I’ve been here. Three residents have buried one of their children.
- I listen to people, have a cuppa, socialise! There are in-house markets each Wednesday. All residents on my floor have morning tea together each Wednesday so we can get to know each other.
- I maintain relationships and friendships with Sisters here and interstate by phone and email. With family in Toowoomba, on the Sunshine Coast and elsewhere. Friends from my Outreach days in Toowoomba, from my teaching days at the Gap and Cabramatta.
- I’ve been contributing to the Crossroads Newsletter since 1992. Twice a year now! I wrote a reflection on Easter for the Shalom magazine of the Zillmere Parish as
requested. I prepare and give a talk on Mary Aikenhead each year for 22nd July and I meet up with the members of my Community from time to time, to pray, chat and celebrate. I attend community meetings, functions, movies and celebrations. I also visit Sisters at Mt Olivet when I can.
- I attend weekly aqua aerobics, Zumba for Seniors and make good use of the walking track set up for our use.
Other things I do
- I keep my apartment in order: washing, ironing, shopping and cooking etc. I do the budget each month, pay bills. I visit the Doctor
regularly. I care for the car: petrol, cleaning, servicing every six months.
- I have learnt how to use the technology in the Media Room and have taught others to use it. I am able to show DVDs when needed.
- I am responsible for the care of our Sisters’ graves here at Nudgee, in Toowoomba and at Lismore. I liaise with Sr Maria Wheeler.